You don’t need a niche (Or why you should allow your mind to explore)
You don’t need a niche (Or why you should allow your mind to explore)

Leonardo da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa and
The Last Supper. He dissected corpses and drew detailed sketches. He designed flying
machines, bridges, and weapons. He maintained extensive notebooks with studies on topics
ranging from plants to animals to human faces. Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod
and bifocal glasses. He studied demography and played multiple instruments. He was a
successful author and newspaper editor. He was the first Postmaster General as well as
governor of Pennsylvania and United States Minister to Sweden and France.
Isaac Newton invented calculus. He described the laws of motion and built the first reflecting
telescope. He wrote extensively about his interpretation of the Bible. He taught at
the University of Cambridge and served as Master of the Royal Mint and President of
the Royal Society. Da Vinci, Franklin, and Newton had various
interests and they sought to explore them all.
Da Vinci didn’t restrict himself to painting, Franklin wasn’t just one of the founding
fathers, and Newton did more than study mathematics. This stands in stark contrast to today’s
world which demands specialization. We learn about a few subjects throughout our
years in school and in college we pick one subject to devote ourselves to for the next
four years (and likely the rest of our lives). You’re either an engineer or a writer, a
doctor or a painter, an accountant or a psychologist. This makes sense in some respects as doctors
in training, for example, don’t have time for much outside of their grueling schedules — which
I appreciate as I wouldn’t want them to remove my kidney instead of my appendix.
Unfortunately, however, this specialization makes us forget that we are born curious and
built to explore. I decided to start writing about a month back.
Among the many imagined obstacles that had been stopping me from writing was this notion
that if I was to be taken seriously I had to have a ‘niche’. I had to be “The
Coding Guy” or “The Personal Finance Guy” or “The Minimalist Guy”.
How dumb is that? Why can’t I be interested in personal finance
as well as psychology? Why can’t I share my thoughts on writing as well as my thoughts
on social media? In the end, whether we’re writing about
coding, telling the story of how we bounced back from a breakup or sharing what we learned
from our favorite book, we’re writing about life.
We’re writing about life. We’re trying to find meaning. We’re searching
for inner peace. We’re hoping to discover happiness. We’re looking to stumble onto
explanations. We’re putting our message in a bottle and
throwing it out to sea. If we’re lucky, somebody will find it, read it, and throw
it back. Take a page out of the lives of Da Vinci,
Franklin, and Newton. Free yourself to explore all your interests.
Free yourself to write about whatever piques your curiosity.
Give yourself the chance to find the handful of topics that fill you to the brim with excitement.
Share your journey. You were born curious. Allow yourself to stay
that way.

13 thoughts on “You don’t need a niche (Or why you should allow your mind to explore)”

1. A square circle says:

I can't wait until you take off, this is such good stuff.

How much experience did you have writing before this?

2. AK M says:

Firstly, Wonderful message! This surely helps become more interested & determined even when one's already invested in some field of work. Secondly, the sliding hang pushing Isaac over to the left was a nice touch. It helped engage me more with what was being told. The use of as less images as possible to explain the points helps us feel more focused. The white spaces also relieves our anxiety and makes us as viewer believe that this animation can be easily watched & absorbed. This is surely the best animation presentation that sparks interest.
    Thanks. 👍

3. CHUNKYNUGGET666 says:

Another grt video

4. jesse eastman says:

I read a Nietzsche quote the other day about how much Dedication it takes to truly master something I think the mindset of try stuff out and explore is just a healthy way to have fun but nothing else. I find that any subject one enjoys and wants to become skilled at goes something like this. At first it feels intuitive like you're skilled at it then feels hard when you realize what it actually is and only after allot of practice feels doable while still being quite difficult and the whole time you're still capable of making mistakes the worst part is the dedication it takes to push something from casual enjoyment to total mastery often takes the joy out of it in the process.
    Then again this Is the mind set of a total pessimist angry at human limitation and wishing I was better than everyone at something.

5. mg659er says:

All 3 were illuminated secret society members.

6. The Man says:

Cute video but it's misleading and false hope. Diversity in a world of specialization may sound great to naive dreamers but it's simply a silly idea IF you want to be successful today (not 100's of years ago like your examples). Remember, Michael Jordan was great at basketball but sucked at baseball. Most people these days should stick to the saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none."

7. Victor Pena says:

For people caught in the rat race living paycheck to paycheck this is a lovely idea. However, one simply does not have the time or energy to explore and learn about all the things we would like to. The status quo needs to change before we can live this type of curious life and be truly fulfilled.

8. TickleMeAlberto says:

This is why i have a Jack of all trades mindset, then prioritize from there.

9. Poeticcontent says:

10. Jill OM says:

11. esam hassan says:

what if you can't find something to do that is interesting in life ?

12. Regular saver says:

Doesn't this contrast with your video about warren buffet's 5/25 rules? That video talks about how focus is important? I just trying to hear your opinion bc I am bit confused

13. Jill OM says: