What is Chromatic Abberation? – photography
What is Chromatic Abberation? – photography

Chromatic aberration is a failure of the
lens to focus all of the colors to the same point it is also referred to as
purple fringing or color fringing I remember using an old telephoto lens
bought for the first time where I was expecting crisp and sharp images
now I dug up these images from when I was photographing kitesurfers all those
years ago and you can see the chromatic aberration is really bad if i zoom in on
the water in the foreground you can see it has a red fringe and then if i zoom
in on the people and I am going four to one on this so it’s 400%
you can see red fringing around these people when i zoom back out the image
looks okay but it does have a soft look to it and that’s because of this
chromatic aberration now there are two different types of chromatic aberrations
the first is longitudinal chromatic aberration or LOC a this is where the
different wavelengths of color converge at different points after passing
through the lens the best way to reduce this is to close the aperture down the
second is lateral chromatic aberration this occurs when different wavelengths
of color that enter the lens at a certain angle focus at different
positions along the same focal plane basically the colors don’t all go back
to the same place relative to each other programs like Lightroom have a one-click
switch to get rid of these and nowadays camera companies have a way of reducing
these by processing them in camera auto camera companies do use special coatings
on lenses to reduce the amount that this happens now if you want to learn more
about your camera and the principle settings click on this other video here
and for a tutorial in Lightroom click on this video down here and if you haven’t
already make sure you subscribe for more weekly videos I’ll see you next time
you

10 thoughts on “What is Chromatic Abberation? – photography”

1. guru gokul says:

Thanks mike I have learned something new today

2. Francesco P. says:

Solution for aberration?Buy a better lens… x°D

3. Stephen Woodburn says:

I think the best way to eliminate chromatic aberration is time. The older my eyes get, the less I see it. Great tip, Mike.

4. Chryseas S. says:

This is another good explanation, Mike! I hear the new Sony 35 f1.8 suffers a fair bit from both longitudinal and lateral CA which is making me hesitate to pick it up.

5. Gustavo Matta says:

These aberrations aren't a problem in conventional photography.
    Easy to solve closing the aperture.
    In astrophotography closing half stop is sufficient. In my Fujinon 27mm f/2.8 I don't need to close.
    But coma and astigmatism aberrations are a big problem!
    The same Fujinon lens must to have its aperture closed in f/5.6. 🙁
    A big challenge for lens engineering! 🤔
    More One Like 👍!
    Thanks a lot for this video! 🙏

6. Paul M says:

🎯Good and timely advice, Mike, especially for folks thinking about buying one of the many cheap, odd maker name, lenses (“fringe element”😁 stuff) being touted on YT lately. Learned something new about different types of CA. Interested in your reply to comment below about CA not being a problem w/“conventional photography”; I don’t get it — not if CA is about optics, not digital electronics, although corrections for CA can be electronic, as you said. Do smartphone cams exhibit CA?? (Thinking about your current newsletter.)

7. Bobcat 1967 says:

I'm into photographing flowers indoors with different coloured led lights as it's cold dark now and I find that some blue lights give terrible aberration whilst yellow and greens are sharper.

8. Ry Clark Media Arts says:

Nice topic. Lots of folks aren't familiar w CA. I know I couldn't find info about it when I first started. Good job

9. Øyvind Holmstad says:

Wow! I learned all I need to know about chromatic aberrations in just two minutes!

10. Michael White says:

Very succinct and nicely illustrated.