The movement of WATER  / WATERFALL photography
The movement of WATER / WATERFALL photography

you pretty impressive eh this is a Myra
Falls I’m actually in Strathcona Provincial Park which is kind of mid
Vancouver Island and Myra Falls here is one of the main Falls right at kind of the heart of the park. Now Strathcona is probably the oldest
Park in British Columbia and I’ve I come out to
Myra Falls to see if I can get some shots here now I’d better be honest with
you I’ve been here several times in the past and they’ve never come away with
anything really thrilling I mean it’s a pretty impressive falls but I find it
quite hard to photograph the nice thing about the Falls is that there are
several different Cascades so there’s a lot to choose from
now I’ve never been down to the bottom waterfall and from the air with the
drone it looks pretty impressive so I’ll probably go down there and check that
out we’re going to spend the night here hopefully get some shots here in the
morning as well and then I’m going to head out to another waterfall not too
far from here. Have the whole place for myself as usual okay I’ve managed to bushwack down to
the Lower Falls here and it’s absolutely fantastic just so much water coming down
I can really feel the power and the spray all all over this area so it’s
heavily backlit we have the sun up here together with this nice spray floating
around in the air here so I’m gonna see if I can capture some of that now because this waterfall is quite powerful I think I’m gonna take the bunch of shots
at a faster shutter speed and capture or try to capture the power of it. You’ve
probably seen it a lot of my videos my shutter speeds are usually quite slow
but I think for this for this image I’m definitely going to use a faster shutter
speed I also think I’m going to do like a bit of a pano I especially like the
the top part of this waterfall rather than the whole thing I mean I’ll take
some shots of the whole thing but I definitely like the the line of a
waterfall kind of mid ground and then over here there’s some really nice moss
that’s kind of backlit I don’t know if you can see this all the spray is kind
of backlit so I’m gonna see if I can get a little bit of that in here and then
above I can just make out the waterfall that I was looking down on
before it’s really quite beautiful right going to set some shot up I think I’m
also going to try to see if I can get a bit of a Sun star the Sun is just about
to set behind the trees there so it’s a good opportunity to try that so if you
want to get a Sun star the best way to do that is have something blocking the
Sun and then stop down your aperture to you know f-16 or even f-22
you get a nice sunburst okay now I took some shots from this
area yesterday the only problem is I didn’t have my boots with me
so I ended up taking them from the sidelines here and I couldn’t quite get
the angle that I wanted so that’s one of the reasons why I’ve come back here
because I went to wade into just over to here and get this small cascade in the
foreground to the larger one in the background of course I’ve got to be kind of careful here because I don’t want to fall down the chute here now with this shot here what I’d like to do is kind of show you ways that you can
get the smoothness of the water but also get texture in there as well by
combining two images together now I use Photoshop and what I do is I take one
image with a slow shutter speed one image with a fast shutter speed same
composition and then kind of paint in textures where I want them so I’ll take
one image that a really slow shutter speeds like say a second and then I’ll take
another one that maybe a sixth or an eighth of a second we’ll have a look at
those individual images and then we’ll combine the two to get the effect that
we want this area is really nice the only problem with today is the light isn’t
quite as nice as yesterday even though it was sunny yesterday the
Sun was setting over here and it was really nice backlit mist in the air
which was really nice today the lights quite flat so not quite as interesting
but still a great location of course I’m the
only one here again this is great okay I’m I’m at Lupin Falls and
unfortunately Lupin Falls isn’t looking quite as good as I remember it last
time I was here I mean it was a difficult place to photograph to start
with but now there’s there’s a lot of deadfall around the area so I started to
look around for photographs and then it started raining so it just wasn’t meant
to be for this for this trip anyway so what I’m gonna do is I’ve got my laptop
here and I’m going to go over what I was talking about earlier where I combined
two images of water together where we have one with texture and then one with
that that kind of blurry effect and you can add as much texture as you want or
not add very much at all it really depends on on the kind of mood you want
alright let’s get right into it okay the first thing I need to do is open up the
two files so we’re just go into Photoshop here file now instead of just
going open and then go down to scripts and load files into stack and we’ll just
browse for the two files that I’m going to use and here they are here select
both of those and open them now this will take a little bit of time now
before I do open them I’m just going to click on this box here attempt to
automatically align source images and well that’ll do is if there’s any
discrepancies in the alignment Photoshop will automatically align them for you
because sometimes there might be a little bit of movement in the camera
even though you’ve taken the shots one after another okay so I have both of the
images here in two separate layers the top layer is the image with the water
with the texture in it this was taken at one thirtieth of a second I believe
and then the bottom layer was taken at one second you can see that it’s quite
smooth and kind of mushy looking so how do we get this texture or some of this
texture into this image here first thing you want to do is just
highlight or make sure you select the top layer and then we’re going to put a
mask on that layer so down here you’ll see a rectangle with a circle in it just
click on that and you’ll notice all of a sudden is a white mask next to the image
so make sure that we select the the mask now on a Mac you go command-i and
that’ll turn the layer into a black mask so now all of a sudden we can’t see that
top layer so from there we’re going to paint in some of that texture into the
water so we choose B for brush which is it’s already on B for brush and make sure
that the paint is white so right now it’s black just press X and that will
change it to white and then your percentage it’s really up to you we’ll
do it at 80% just so you can see exactly what’s happening here so you’ll notice
that as I start painting you can see the layer or the texture from from that
layer coming right through and you can add as much or as little as you want now
right now I’ve more or less added that whole layer which is not really I want
to want to do if you feel that you’ve gone too far and you didn’t want to add
that much texture then all you have to do is press X again and all of a sudden
your black paint and you just start to mask that area in again so it’s very
simple to do and you don’t have to limit this to water either I do this quite
often with foliage that’s moving so some of the images that I took I wanted a
certain shutter speed I wanted a 1/5 or a 1/6 of a second but it was quite windy
and the foliage around the waterfall was moving so if I just left it at 1/5 of a
second then obviously that foliage would have been quite blurry so what I’ll
often do is I’ll take the photograph of the waterfall of the shutter speed that
I need and then I’ll take another image of just
for the foliage at a faster shutter speed so it captures the action and the
foliage isn’t blurry and then just to do this exact method in Photoshop I’ll just
paint in the foliage or the areas that I want to be sharp all right and that’s it
it’s pretty simple method of of adding texture to an image and you know there
are other ways that you can do it but this is just one way that I do it that’s
that’s quite simple with with Photoshop anyway I hope you enjoyed this little
video if you have any questions as always be sure to leave them in the
comments below and as always if you enjoyed this this little video please be
sure to give me a thumbs up alright everybody until next time thanks
ever so much and we’ll catch next time, bye you

92 thoughts on “The movement of WATER / WATERFALL photography”

1. Tony Neat says:

My Saturday fix 🙂

2. Alan Coles says:

Great intro Adam. Tutorial on the hop… that deffo different, turned out great too – love the cleanness of the water, our falls are peaty brown most of the time 🙂 Have a good weekend Adam.

3. peter skillen says:

Thanks very much for the tip Adam. Your waterfall photography is inspiring, but we have a serious drought here in the lake district and all the waterfalls are mere trickles.

4. irma labrin says:

Hola, wow …excelente .muy buen trabajo.capturar las Bellas imágenes del agua .fantástico.

5. Allan Davies says:

Hello Adam, as always your tutorials are informative with technical brilliance. Immediately, when you said, that you have difficulty composing images at this location. I thought, great place for drone shots. Such a beautiful country that you live in. Thank you, for sharing….

6. Kelly Pettit says:

Thanks Adam. I've never been there and it's close enough. Think I'll venture that way soon. The trick is to capture a photo even half as decent as you did. I watch others show footage of them taking pics in the rain and some of their photos are amazing. I bet you (coming from the "wet" coast) could do an upcoming video on just that. Food for thought. Thanks as always. 😉

7. Trevor Hughes says:

I always look forward to seeing your videos Adam, the scenery is beautiful and your delivery is so easy to listen to. How are the boots holding up?

8. john voss says:

Merging parts of the same shot at different shutter speeds is BRILLIANT.

9. Gheorghe Falcaru says:

I would like to convert a car to a "sleep car" that you have done. Maybe you can tell how you've done your car!
    There are more people who would be interested in it.
    Thanks in advance Super photo as always

10. Renegade Scot says:

Very nice tutorial and images. Atb

11. Douglas Bradshaw says:

Did you use a polarizer this time? I'm guessing no.

12. FaffiGP Rafael Garcia Perdigon says:

Your images are poems Adam. Thanks again for the tips. Happy light.

13. Cosmin Stan says:

Very nice video and great images like always. Thanks for the tip!

14. Ted Simonett says:

Hey Adam, once again you've visited a spot that's on my bucket list. Really like the composite shot of the sun star and falls and the lovely greenery camera left.

15. Garry Johns says:

Wow! Another GREAT video.

16. Bruce O'Donnell says:

never thought about using multiple photos to get crisper foliage in long exposers. Great tip!

17. bkspicture says:

Lovely bubbly

18. John Sholian says:

Thanks for the tutorial Adam. It worked a treat in that final image and I'll have to give that a try. I can't believe you had that area all to yourself. That's getting harder and harder to achieve anymore it seems. I look forward to your next video. Cheers!

19. KreygScott says:

Wonderful images and quite an informative video Adam. Thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards,
    kreygscott.com

20. Erimus Motorcyles says:

📸is not just 🆗 but ➕➕➕& I always 👍. Why not to explain – just a little – the luminosity masks and TKV5, how to make a composite, choose a luminosity mask, apply or select and work on it, just that, not the whole panel, it may help some of the photographers watching your wonderful videos and it may help Tony too? Just a suggestion… Merci pour tout ce que tu fais de toute façon.

21. Tom Stokes says:

Informative tutorial as always. Well done.

22. Rasesh Patel says:

Very informative and great images. The best way to start my Saturday. From Kamloops, BC

23. Glen Milligan says:

Always look forward to your videos. Your photography skills are amazing and your video editing (music selection/transitions) are excellent. Wish we had more of those landscape features in southern Ontario.

24. Gord Roberts says:

Hi Adam, lovely post as always, I like simple and will be giving that a try soon. Thanks for sharing, wonderful addition to my Saturday morning coffee.

25. Bruce Rawlinson says:

Thanks for the tutorial on blending images in Ps. Wonderful image … as always …

26. Ralph Goldsmith says:

Those are some wonderful waterfalls, something that's severely lacking in my neck of the woods 🙂 Great video

27. Miguel A. Corona says:

Terrific. I shoot a lot of waterfalls and have used many of your tips to capture elements of them rather than the whole thing. Still enjoy the wide ones, but I think etching out certain areas give waterfall captures more intimacy, plus their fun to do (in a challenging sort of way). Can't wait to try this new tip in PS. Lovely place. Thanks Adam.

28. Stephanie Sabourin says:

Love the video and the shots you got. The tutorial on combining shots and why was helpful. Random question: do rubber boots have good traction in the water? Around here (Maryland and West Virginia USA) many of our rocks in the water are algae covered. I have not had the guts yet to step into the water with a tripod and camera over fear that I will slip and ruin my camera, but I know some places I love that the only good angle for photographing will be in the river.

29. Guy Roberts says:

Thanks for the tutorial Adam. I have had situations where I wanted to use a nd filter but the wind had branches etc moving so I didn’t bother. I will be trying your work around for sure.

30. Jim Cooke says:

brilliant adam, awesome images and as ever thanks for showing us those editing techniques

31. Stephen Singleterry says:

I always enjoy your videos, they're so inspirational.

32. Philip Culbertson says:

I have a basic question Adam. To get the two different effects you had to use different shutter speeds. That means you either varied the aperture or ISO to get the SS you wanted. I thought doing that may create problems in PS. Did you change your aperture or ISO to get the desired result? I assume aperture so you limit any noise. Or did you tweak both some? Great technique. I really want to learn this one.

33. William Farr says:

Lovely images once again Adam and the relaxed pace you practice makes for an enjoyable experience. The drone & audio work are splendid too… Loving those low ISO features on the Nikon as well!
    Cheers,
    Bill Farr…:-)

34. Stephen Gingold says:

Great idea, Adam. Never considered combining two images to control the water textures (or leaf movement) so thanks! I'd like to try it out right away, but we've had little rain in the last few weeks and water is down. Wish we had as nice a strong flow as you had here. Do your boots have a special sole to avoid slipping or are they just the basic rubber? I wear Muck boots and they are decent but still skid a bit at times. As always a great series of images and nice presentation.

35. James Johnston says:

Love Myra Falls! Great location and very nice images. First time you have had sun at a waterfall in ages Adam. Coming home to Seattle in July for the first time in at least 30 years. Looking forward to moss covered forests and beach shots with sea stacks.

36. Chris Hewitt says:

Really interesting Adam and what a beautiful location. I could not help but notice the huge timbers well above the current water line and marvel at the raging torrent this must be after a decent rain. I use masking so infrequently I keep forgetting how so have bookmarked your vid as your instructions are simple clear and paced so I can follow them !! I've recently been wanting to take a bit of the blurring in cloud out of my long exposure sea-scapes and this looks the perfect methodology . Cheers

37. Rich Cower says:

Really like your PS example, those are extremely helpul. I bookmarked this one. Thanks a lot…rich

38. Darren Booker says:

Another fantastic video Adam, well done mate. In landscapes like those it is better to have it all to yourself than to have people milling around like ant's ruining your shot's…LOL. Keep up the good work mate.

39. Andrew Marr says:

Looks like an amazing area to explore Adam, I enjoy those locations that provide serval options for interesting compositions. I could certainly get a sense of the power of the waterfall and the amount of water that was flowing. In the first set of shots you shared I really liked the detail you captures in the rock walls, take care mate!

40. Wei Chong says:

Great tips for capturing water detail (or leaves detail) by using 2 like images (except for shutter speed) and then blending them. I like the simplicity of the workflow. Thanks.

41. Dwight Sorensen says:

Now that the weather has turned for the better I may head up to Myra next week for an overnighter. Thanks again
    for the tips Adam.

42. Alain Versluys says:

Great images and drone footages. Epic music, wondering which music you are using …

43. Jaime Cifuentes says:

Hi Adams. This was a interesting tutorial. I will have to try that trick of combining two images. Great job on still photography again. I am sure that I won't go to exotic places but near national park will provide. Thank you.

44. Poppy's Pix says:

Adam, another great video. Nice tip compositing 2 images with different shutter speeds. Thanks!

45. Kevin Whitehead says:

What an amazing set a falls to have to yourself! Thanks for the demo on shot combination in PS, must try to paint in some texture next time I get a crack at a nice waterfall.

46. Gary F Sherman says:

Thanks Adam. This was very helpful. Moving foliage next to a waterfall is a typical problem when shooting at slow shutter speeds. I am looking forward to going out and trying your technique. I usually shoot several images at various shutter speeds with water looking for the "right" compositional speed for the image in post processing. It's hard to tell off the back off the camera when you are in the field as to whether you got it right. Since I have saved many of these files, I am going to go back and process again trying the brush techniques on water and foliage and see what I come up with.

47. Bri Barnham Photography says:

Enjoying your work Adam. Really must take a trip over to Vancouver Island, very interesting seeing whats to see there through watching your videos.

48. paulus0109 says:

Thnx for showing another great place Adam. Awesome photo’s.

49. Patricia Davidson says:

Great video and tutorial Adam! 👍

50. Dave Morse says:

Thanks Adam been out myself playing with different approaches to photographing waterfalls. Like the image stacking options. Nice that you where able to have the locations to yourself, that can be a challenge as well. Thanks for sharing.

51. Who Said Photography says:

Adam – I see your in my part of the island. Yes Lupin Falls this year is full of tree debris. I ran a waterfall workshop in April (Video of the workshop on my channel) Lupin was deplorable. It has been cleared by the staff, still not that great. If you work your way down the stream there is lots of opportunities for great pictures. It's still a great spot to visit for a couple of hours.
    Myra falls – Three weeks ago you would not be standing where you where, it was under water. I had never seen it that high, and I visit the fall quite often. I see you were able to get your drone to connect. For some reason mine did not, could not get more than 3 satellites.
    My only question is did you miss Karst falls? It's in between Lupin and Myra
    Keep up the great work…

52. victor ferreira says:

Excellent vlog as always!!! And excellent long exposure tip!!!

53. Aad Berkhout says:

Adam thanks for the tutorial on the masking, unfortunately we do not have that many waterfalls in the Netherlands so need to wait for the right time and location to bring it into practice 😉

54. Steve H says:

ISO 31? That is an expanded ISO, is there any precaution you need to consider when expanding the ISO? My D800E will expand to ISO 64, but I have not tried it.

55. Martin Cutrone says:

Beautiful work as usual, and clearly explained editing. Thanks for sharing your tips!

56. MrStanmc says:

Excellent work Adam. In your last video I posted a comment saying that I was losing interest in your channel because I thought you were moving away from what drew me to the channel in the first place, the capture, editing and presentation of still images. In this video you have put those fears to rest, producing a body of work that has something in it for everyone, video makers and still photographers alike……not an easy task.
    This is a first class production that puts you firmly back on my favourites list of landscape photographers and has me looking forward to the next edition. Thank you!

57. Paul Downey says:

Superb video Adam, I've been using the exposure blending for water but for some reason never thought to do it with the surrounding foliage, I always learn something from your videos, thanks again for taking the time to produce great content.

58. Vaun's Photography says:

I really like the results of combining your two images! Well done with both your editing and your video.

59. Alan Douglas says:

Hi Adam stumbled upon your videos recently, great work, I am also an english expat living here on Vancouver Island (bowser) I guess we are near neighbours (: My website www.alandouglasphotography.com Hope I bump into you on our travels. Cheers Alan

60. Glen Domulevicz says:

Another good demonstration of a technique that can help achieve an image one imagines. Thanks for sharing.

61. Tim Blake says:

Awesome video Adam. That opening scene was stunning really ethereal, and otherworldly. Your images were awesome as well I really loved the last one, the textures in the water were beautiful, really calming whilst showing the raw power of the falls. Magical stuff!!!

62. Isaac Moscovich says:

Love the video!

63. John Rayner says:

Interesting technique to try to file in my failing brain. 🙂 I think that very first shot at 1/800 with the spray was perfect. Dumb question, but when you block the sun how do you do it? With your thumb or finger or something else? From the top of the frame downward? If you could show this in action some day. Hint hint. Thanks again.

64. Bruce Patterson Photography says:

I found the intro to your video really good, held my interest and made me want more. Myra falls looks like a fantastic place to photograph. Just wondering why no else was there, is it a hard place to get too? I use a similar method for blending two photos together, however it was nice to see how another photographer does it. Enjoyed watching thanks.

65. Mary L Scaia says:

Loved it! Thanks so much for having the easy to understand photoshop tutorial. I'm going to head to Strathcona next week and check out the lower Myra falls.

66. Richard James Milne says:

Beautifully done Adam! You help keep my inspiration alive as I love shooting waterfalls! With so many here and around the Island it is truly a waterfall paradise! The best part for you is were finally clear of the rainy season and for the next 4 months you won't be needing your rainwear 😉 Cheers 🍻

67. Somewhere Down The Road says:

Mission accomplished! Awesome Adam. Several of the images have a very ancient feel to them, almost Jurassic feeling if you know what I mean by that, the image @ 6:06 is what I am talking about. The darkness of the rocks and the saturation of the green ferns and moss….just awesome. You captured the POWER of the falls perfectly. More of this would be very welcomed!

68. Ener Weight says:

nice to be back this channel am really enjoyed it..

69. david wilkinson says:

gorgeous final image Adam

70. Wade Poitras says:

Nice final image. I really liked the images you made in the mid-part of the video, it ties right into your usual style. I've been struggling with some of my long exposures but I'll try some of your suggestions.

71. Garry Williams says:

Great video

72. Ann Thomstad says:

I really enjoyed this video tutorial Adam – as I do pretty well all of the videos you share. Love the waterfall images you show us here and thank you for sharing the combined image technique. Look forward to trying this. Just one question – on the shots with slower shutter speed – do you use ND filters?

73. Monica Doshi says:

Another stunning location and love your photos from here. Again I found the editing tutorial really useful and easy to follow. Thank you

74. Ron Mckenzie says:

How are you getting by with using a drone in Canada parks?

75. Kevin Silirie says:

You're right about the faster exposure showing more power of the falls.

76. Nat Images says:

Absolutely gorgeous,magic place,stunning shots and details,excellent work Adam!

77. Photog 1 says:

Great tip about using a separate exposure to control foliage movement. I've always done this for water movement, but thought of "foliage control" never entered my mind. Perfect.

78. Darren J Spoonley Photography says:

Brilliant video, I real like your slow mo work and the images are just sublime…

79. Jeff Hobson says:

I never considered blending 2 different water speeds fast and smooth. Great idea bud and great video!! Thank you so much for all your hard work and sharing!!

80. Howard Allen says:

When you’re combining the two images could you give some guidelines as to which areas you prefer to show movement in the water or is it simply where you “feel” it looks right?

81. Bryan Thornton says:

I would so knock my gear in the water!

82. Jeff Files says:

What great images Adam, and the explanation of your shots and processing is insightfull, thank you for sharing. Catching up on past vlogs, really enjoyed this so rude not to comment. Take care.

83. Cris Signori says:

I was thinking that the flowing water might cause some vibration in the tripod …. I guess not. Great instruction as always – superbly presented. Thanks Adam

84. Lee Zwak says:

thanks adam keep up the great work.

85. Dave Vowles says:

I have seen you Thomas Heaton's vlogs and picked you up from one of his placed links. Love your work and presentation I am now watching your vlogs back to back in order to catch up to present day.
    What a terrific tip and instruction in photoshop at the end, really appreciate it, thanks.

86. Robert Nelson says:

Thanks for the ending part. I like frozen water but everyone seems to do that blurred thing and now I found a way to combine it right

87. Stevie Beats says:

some stunning drone footage, You should make a drone film. Love the waterfall shots

88. Vincent Lerie says:

Great tip on blending the waterfall exposures, which I had never thought of.

89. Richard Hipkin says:

03:04 – OMG… Beautiful!

90. Brett Hayvice says:

Another great video thanks – I took off this morning, newly inspired by you to get some nice forest images and discovered the only one I like is the one I didnt use a polariser (small forest creek) so that was interesting and unexpected.

91. David Bodine says:

Fantastic on the painting I have been getting further into photoshop and didn’t know that was that easy. Great technique for the leaf movement as well. Thanks a lot. Love the clips!

92. Rick Mentore says:

You are the Greatest Contemporary Photographer!