stock agencies to PROFIT with photos/videos
stock agencies to PROFIT with photos/videos

Right now, what are the best stock
agencies to sell your photos and videos online? New stock
agencies are being launched all the time and though it might be a good idea to
diversify your income sources, it can also be very frustrating to make uploads
to agencies that will never get you a single sale. In today’s video I want to
answer that using data from multiple sources like Alexa Rank, Google Trends,
and my own personal earnings. So welcome to Creative Income – where creators learn
how to achieve financial freedom through creative ways. Stock footage and stock
photography are the main focus for now here in the channel. So if this is
something that excites you, you’re welcome to subscribe. And for anyone
wishing to go deeper, I also have an online course of three hours focused on
taking both beginners and intermediates to an advanced level. Part of the
content of this video is included in the course too. That’s enough advertising
for now. if you have ever watched a video here,
you will notice that I hate taking conclusions too early and assuming that
things are the same for everybody. First of all, because there’s a big difference
from stock footage to stock photography. That is totally connected to what
agencies will be the best in your specific case. We will take multiple data
sources in this video and take some conclusions that will be helpful to take
your own decisions. Anyway before we finish, I want to help you giving what
would be my advice on what agencies I would go if I was just getting started.
The links to sign up as a contributor will all be in the description too. So
the first thing that I want to do is compare how people are searching for
stock agencies on Google. This is not directly connected to the sales you are
going to do on each agency, but it’s still interesting data. This search makes
it clear how big the advantage of Shutterstock is. They get almost three
times more searches than Adobe Stock or Getty Images. One interesting analysis to
do is how the graph is evolving since 2004. Getty Images used to be the biggest
agency reaching a peak in June 2006. That’s really close to when they have
acquired iStock. But then Shutterstock arrived and from then on it’s clear that
things haven’t been so good. There’s no way to prove it, but I’m pretty sure that
contributors had a good part on it. The Getty group became one of the most hated
among contributors because of their lack of transparency, bad commission rates, and
low respect for the contributor. You can see how both companies started to go down in Google searches. In the meanwhile, Shutterstock was growing constantly
from 2006 to 2014, when the search is stabilized. And that’s probably because a
new player arrived in the game: that’s Adobe Stock. Their growth since
2015 hasn’t stopped yet and that makes them a very important agency for both
photo and video. That gets very clear when we take Alexa Rank into
consideration. Another tool that can be used to analyze the most visited
websites on the Internet. It puts Adobe on the top because they
use the Adobe.com domain, which is used for way more things than just Adobe
Stock. That’s why they appear among the top 100 websites. Adobe is known
for Photoshop, Premiere, and all their other stuff. So you can’t really
conclude Adobe Stock gets more visitors than Shutterstock. In this ranking
Adobe stock and Shutterstock are clearly the best marketplaces. These
two agencies are both good for stock footage and stock photography. For any
reason, iStock and Getty are getting fewer visitors than Deposit Photos and 123RF. I will show you my own earnings in a minute, and that will show you how
this is not that accurate when it comes to profits. You will see
that Videoblocks, which is now Storyblocks, together with pond5, are still important. Even if they’re the last on that list. Alamy is also another good agency to sell
stock photography and even though sales are not going to be as frequent as they
are in Shutterstock. Alamy is known for getting the highest price sales.
Many contributors have already experienced getting sales above $100
there. So now let me mix some personal data in here… This is how each agency
is performing in the last two years for me. I started with Shutterstock and
Pond5 in the end of 2012. Then started at Getty Images at least in 2013 and then
Storyblocks, Adobe stock, and Deposit Photos entering in 2017, at least for me. Adobe Stock doesn’t allow editorial content. And unfortunately that’s why it is a
little weaker for me than it is to the average contributor. However what I see
from other contributors is that Adobe Stock is starting to get as strong as
Pond5 and, sometimes, as strong as Shutterstock. I have another video where
I showcase my best selling files and how much they made in each agency. You can
check that video if you want to learn a little more with my own earnings. To
finish this video let me give you my personal advice of what agencies I would
go if I was just getting started. If you are a photographer, I would advise
starting with Shutterstock and Adobe Stock. They have the best platforms, they
have good review times, and they also get the biggest number of sales.
Shutterstock also has a mobile app that lets you edit metadata and submit files
from it. And you can even use it to upload pictures you took from your phone. Then as soon as you can get a taste of it, I would start going to other
agencies. Alamy would be the next one because of
their high pricing sales, as I just told you. Then I
would go to agencies like Deposit Photos, 123RF… Then try all the new and small
agencies. You will get crazy doing it by yourself if you don’t use a multi
uploader. That’s why I suggest that you use something like StockSubmitter
or Xpiks. It’s not that hard to learn how to use
them and I do cover it on my online course. For filmmakers I suggest going in
this order. Start with Shutterstock, then Adobe Stock, Pond5, and Storyblocks. In
general that’s what I believe will be the most profitable and also the
easiest to deal with. Video demands a whole different workflow. Because you have to use FTP. And editing and exporting is going to be way longer
and way harder than it is with stock photography. But it’s not as hard as it
sounds and I also cover the whole process on my online course. I also got
my eyes on agencies like Vimeo Stock, Dissolve, Film Supply for high-end
content. Also Artgrid and Envato, that might grow in the next years. Just as in
photography, StockSubmitter is going to work just fine. But here we have BlackBox. They do take 15% of your revenue and the files are going to be sold under
their profile, but there are some advantages that make it worth. Some
examples are collaborating with metadata creators, automating revenue share to
models and other co-workers. So BlackBox can split the income automatically and
send it to each one’s PayPal account; and also being part of a wonderful community
of creators, which BlackBox is becoming. There is a video about BlackBox in the
channel, but if you are ready already, you can use the link below to subscribe. For
both photo and video, I’m not a fan of Getty or iStock. Their visitors are
decreasing over the years, they have the worst commission rates ever, and a
terrible platform in my opinion. Still I know some creators that are happy with
this and are even exclusive. So that’s totally up to you. Thanks again for
watching, don’t forget to subscribe, don’t forget to check the online course, and I
see you in the next video.

23 thoughts on “stock agencies to PROFIT with photos/videos”

1. Triple070007 says:

For me so far (after about 3 months), selling has been 98% Shutterstock, 2% Adobe stock, 0% Pond5, 0% iStock, 0% Alamy.

2. Jersey Joe's Tech says:

Great videos! great advice! Appreciate seeing your progress. So far for me it is Shutterstock. But I have only been selling stock for less than 2 months. Appreciate any advice from experienced contributors.

3. Marlon Trottmann says:

Thanks for sharing this interesting video! I’ve been now on stock photography since last September and I can totally agree with you…
    But I can also say that for the moment I’m pretty happy with Getty/Istock because i’ve a sell percentage around 0.60 cents!
    See on the next video 👍

4. Fábio Textos says:

Obrigado por dividir o conhecimento! Abç

5. Fábio Textos says:

Para footages estou usando o BlackBox – será que estou fazendo errado?

6. Don Oltmann says:

Do you have anything to share about Eye Em? I know they are owned by Getty and some photos get pushed to Getty. I seems they are more of a social site than a true stock site.

7. Project 4 Linux says:

i appreciate you for this information, good luck

8. Simon Collins says:

Do people who use multiple agencies upload the same image across all sites, or do you keep certain images for certain sites as they sell better?

9. Odd Tech World says:

Hi, really thanks for this video. I'm an exclusive videographer and illustrator at Istock adn Gettyimages. My sales counts are getting bigger but, i am not happy about earnings. For example you sold 10 footages, but only 3 or 4 of them are getting profit 30-60 $, others are terrible like 0,5 – 2 $. I'm thinking to upload shutterstock, adobe, and others. If you have some advices for me, i would be grateful.

10. Immersion Imagery says:

You should probably say that promoting Black Box is a paid promotion. Great content, just don't trick people by sticking in an a paid promotion or affiliate lick, you will lose credibility. More credible to just say so..

11. elusive1970 says:

I'm happy with working with shutterstock but I have to tell you working with getty was horrible! Their commissions are very low and it was very difficult to get questions answered. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure stuff out on their site. I closed my account with them after trying them for a year and really feel I made a good decision.

12. Rere333 says:

I have a few questions if you could answer It would be great.

Can I sell any footage with buildings and people as editorial if I dont have a release?
    I mean people walking in front of the cam and famous places?

What determins the price of the video? I have seen videos for 300$ on shutterstock which arent even that special, yet others make just a few dollars.

Lastly, at which frames per sec do you upload? 24? 25? 30?.
    I live in europe and dont know what would be best since its international.
    I have a Sony a6300 and would primarily film in 4k but I would also like to take a few slowmo shots.
    I dont know if its worth it though to upload since the HD footage 60fps and up is not really that good.

Thanks.

13. Beth Baugher says:

Thanks so much for sharing your information. Very appreciated!!!

14. A Filipina In Europe says:

Hi goodmorning friends, I just like to inquire about video footage,is it ok to record a public or government buildings like schools or Parliament building, and if there are people in it who are not-recognizble due to far distance (will it still require release?) or if the people 's backs are facing the camera… are they going to be approved thanks.GOD BLESS thank you very much

15. Simon Leon says:

cheers bro, this was very helpful

16. Kevin Jack Birchfield says:

One thing I'd love to see is the techniques used to shoot stock footage. It would be nice to see a video of you shooting stock footage.

17. Calvin Kemppel says:

Do you think BlackBox is still worth it in 2019? any proof of profit from your experience?

18. V8Pixel says:

How about videohive?

19. jennifer Otero says:

Can you put the same stock photo on other sites?

20. John Travolski says:

I create lots of abstract animations using After Effects. Since no actual footage is used in these animations, I have complete control over all the technical aspects (such as resolution, frame rate, duration, color depth, and codec). 4K is the obvious choice for resolution. But what about frame rate? Do you think 60fps is a better choice than something more common, such as 30? For example, when I search Pond5 for content similar to mine, the majority of it is 30 fps. If I choose to make my animations 60 fps, do you think that would be advantageous?

21. John Almonte says:

Hello, I noticed on your blog that you get a decent payout from Robert Harding. Since they are exclusive, do you upload to them first? And then if they reject your footage, then upload it to the microstock agencies? Just curious to know how that works out. I checked out their site and noticed that they only give 30%. Is it worth it to stay exclusive with them?

22. Desi GariChalak says:

Subtle BlackBox Spammer

23. Bruce Aspley says:

If you have a unique video that cant be easily replicated. Would it be best to upload to say Pond5 where you can set your own price or would you still upload to all the agencies? I am wondering if having a unique video on a stock agency that pays less degrades the others.