Real Estate Photography with Barry Mackenzie | PRO EDU Trailer
Real Estate Photography with Barry Mackenzie | PRO EDU Trailer

(bright music) – Real estate photography,
it’s kind of a unique genre. We never know what we’re gonna get when we walk into a home. We always try to have a plan in our mind but there’s always variables that are entirely out of our control. A layout issue, a wall
color, any number of things that we don’t anticipate. That’s one of the things
I love the most is the actual problem solving. In the simplest terms,
real estate photography is about making a set of photos that makes somebody wanna buy a house. And we do that by capturing
the home in its best light. We want to actually show
the layout of the home. We wanna capture the feel. Because the main floor
has such an open concept, we’re gonna have to use a
visual anchor in the foreground. Orient the viewer so they know that the dining room now
connects to the living room. There’s a huge opportunity here
to stand out in that market. The corner of this island is way too hot but what we’re gonna do
is dial back that light and then we’re gonna add some
of that top down fill light that looks like it’s coming
through the French doors and from these overhead canned lights. Real estate photography on the surface appears very, very easy but it’s actually quite technical. We need to know how to think on our feet because we’re only in a home
for 90 minutes usually, max. (upbeat music) We had to have a strong,
solid set of fundamentals that we can lean on. I can’t bounce off of anything over here because we have that artwork on the wall and I don’t wanna pick up any of that red and contaminate the flash. In this tutorial, I’m gonna start by talking about the gear that I use. Anybody can use these tools
to make a great set of photos. We’re shooting with the Canon 5D Mark IV and I’ve got the 17-40
wide angle lens on there. We’re gonna teach you
how to compose and light, both interior and exterior photos. I like to shoot more
from the ground level. I feel like it makes the home
feel a little bit more heroic and it’s how people would
normally see it from the street. We’re gonna show you my entire
post-production workflow: the raw processing in light room, and also the final compositing work that we’re gonna do in Photoshop. I want you to use the
information in this tutorial to go out there and land that first job, make a bunch of mistakes and
learn from those mistakes. I want you to go out there and
become a better photographer and I think that all the information that you need to do that
is in this tutorial.

8 thoughts on “Real Estate Photography with Barry Mackenzie | PRO EDU Trailer”

1. VK CREATIONZS says:

Wow

2. DogByte says:

Sign me up!

3. gustavo campos says:

Very good, BUT what I'd like to really see is somebody photographing ACTUAL houses on sale in an average market, not those 750.000 or 1 million dollars houses. Tiny condos, small apartments, very small houses (with small bathrooms and NO MASTER anything!) that you will have to photograph every single day BEFORE you get to shoot a fantastic house like the one you've shown here. That would be of REAL value for most photographers IMHO. But, again, this will be of great value for someone that's in this kind of market or for those shooting for high end clients.

4. Stephen Scharf says:

Oh, man, this looks SO good! Can't wait for the tutorial release, Barry!

5. Keith Shenkin says:

Beautifully lit and presented… when, what, where and how? Very interested.

6. Tammy Loverdos says:

Looks like a great tutorial. Congratulations!

7. Jodee Wyatt says:

This is fantastic…..Wow❣️👏👍🇦🇺

8. Vaidotas Darulis says:

Barry, I think your work is amazing and I appreciate that you consider the amount of time photographers get to work on locations. I am working in a European country, where shooting properties with additional lighting is quite a rare thing here (at least in the mid-range part of the industry). Your pictures are very beautifully lit and very eye-catching. Those flashes make them very shiny, polished and bright which does complement a high-end property and probably helps them sell faster, but do you ever receive any backlash from clients about pictures looking better than the real thing? I had this question since Mike Kelley's tutorials came out. I am considering starting light-painting pictures with flashes, but am not sure how local clients would react since most of them are very precise on making everything very realistic, for which luminosity masking with different exposures is usually enough. Let me know your thoughts on this please, thanks!