Photography Tips: Tree Panning Movement Blur
Photography Tips: Tree Panning Movement Blur

come out of the woods with brown again what are we gonna do well I want to talk to you about techniques of photography things that we do with cameras about controls and ways of using them and thinking about how they work I know I bang on about thinking but it is the most important thing you’re the most important thing in all of your photos this was really clearly demonstrated to me when I came down to this very car parking on one day with a lady called Becka Dixon and her mum they booked me for one-on-one and we came out here and becka showed me a really cool little technique she thought of a way of putting together some camera controls and some body movements to make some really nice arty little things and that’s what I’ve come down here to share with you. So all I need is my trusty camera i’m using my X-T1 because I can shoot video through it really really easily I’m only using a bog standard lens there we go so let’s go investigate yeah I know what you’re thinking you’re thinking but there’s cars everywhere browne you idiot well yeah that’s true you can see there’s cars all through the car park there but that’s a function of composition isn’t it so what controls composition you do cameras do shutter speeds and apertures but composition isn’t a camera control composition is controlled by arms and legs and hands and knees and things like that and going like this and moving around isn’t it let’s have a little look how do we do it so the shot i’m thinking of let’s get my best video camera rocking and rolling in here so we can do good little bit of video for you so look I’m thinking about shot something like this and as you can see we’ve got a car in the car park over there haven’t we so how do we lose it well it’s really simple isn’t it! we just move around look you soon as I moved to my right a bit there we go look the nasty car’s gone i could even zoom the lens an inzy bit and that just makes our little path through the trees look even nicer so that is going to be our composition kinda thing but what are we going to do with it right so when you know those techniques of photography and you know what shutters do and shutters control movement don’t they you can start to put together ideas to how to use them so I want to give the feeling the emotion of sort of being in a little woodland a walk and I like the light on these trees so what we need to do to get movement into these trees because let’s face it trees don’t move about a lot do they we move the camera we don’t move the tree well I can’t anyway so we’d need to use a slow shutter speed wouldn’t we to induce movement that means I’m gonna have to put on a low ISO let’s have a little look and see what kind of a shutter speed i can get so let me start closing down my aperture I was on f4 we’re now going down to f-22 i’ve got 2.5 I got a third of a second and I’m not altogether sure the third of a second is gonna be slow enough we all we can do is try it you must try things out now I don’t know if you noticed a moment ago I just kind of moved my hips I kind of went from here to here and that is because here i can see this is going to be blurry but you can see the car whereas if i move to here you can’t look what a little tiny movement that is that’s a composition control ok so let’s see what we can do let’s get back on subject right we got just about half a second let’s see what happens if we move the camera following the lines of the tree so we’re going to start let’s start at the top and come down and see okay where we got something a little bit blurry but it’s a bit messy and we missed the woodland walk, the shutter speed was too fast so let’s try moving a bit faster hmm that’s not very good either is it let’s try going the other way always trying things out what happens we start at the bottom and move up let’s make sure i’m not my car in the shot start down here oh the lights changed we’ve got a slower shutter speed now okay well it’s looking better but we’re still not getting it. Let’s just see i want to see more of those trees let’s just see let’s go a little bit more slowly oh that’s a bit more interesting isn’t it. Look you see how creative you can get just by thinking things through and just playing about with those controls and using the first building block of photography your awesomely brilliantly fabulously wonderful brain let’s have another go at that now look what we’re doing here is holding the shot at the beginning so I’ve got one second roughly nearly one second exposure it’s about half a second what we’re doing is we’re holding the exposure for half of the time so maybe a quarter of a second to the exposure is down here with the trees and then the rest of the exposure is that movement so we’ve got frozen tree trunks followed by that i’m using my image stabilizing by the way I’m keeping that switched on because it might just help with some of the shaky shaky because there’s a lot of shaky shaky going on here you know we don’t usually do half to one second exposes without a tripod let’s have another go gosh i have to keep remembering to just go like that so I lose that awful blue car right one more let’s just focus i got my tree in place and ooo I like that one ooo I do like that one so there you go it’s just a little technique it’s something for you to play with it’s something to use your brain on something for you to go out and practice with ok the purest will say that’s not a sharp picture well no it isn’t but it’s an artistic picture it’s being creative and it’s giving you a little bit of practice playing around with all those awesome camera controls so there you go i’m gonna go off and do something else looks like it’s going to be a nice day have a great time i’ll see you next time take care guys bye Subscribe to our YouTube channel to be notified each time we upload one of our cool photography videos well for more great photo tips workshops and training come and see us our website photography courses . bees

60 thoughts on “Photography Tips: Tree Panning Movement Blur”

1. Nate's Film Tutorials says:

Another great video from Mike Browne, thank for helping me with photography and filmmaking

2. luismpg says:

Definitely the most important channel I have. Keep producing important teaching videos ! Thank you

3. Peter Hicks says:

Our camera club is obsessed with "pin sharp" images, which is a good thing – up to a point.
    Some of the most dynamic shots I've seen use camera, or zoom, movement & I like mucking about with that…
    But I'd be wasting my time entering such a shot in a competition ๐Ÿ˜•

4. Ahmed Bebars says:

Great video, Mike. I once shot the tree tops with a slow shutter speed while doing a 360 degree spin. Got a bit dizzy, but it was all worth it!

5. Wallace Shackleton says:

Welcome to the wonderful world of intentional camera movement.

6. InTheNameOfJustice says:

I haven't been invited into the woods by a man with a beard since I was seven.

7. JB says:

hi Mike, may I ask what camera is your assistant using to film you on? the quality is looking really good these days

8. Odu Kar says:

"Composition is controlled by arms, legs and knees"! Always a pleasure to watch your videos!

9. Patrick L says:

Always a great moment to look at your videos ! Thanks Mike for such ideas and tricks !

10. tectorama says:

(AKA Alan Radley) Mmmmmmm… I'm not sure about this. Yes it's clever, and can create some interesting effects.
    I'm just not a big fan of "arty" photography. Saying that, I was experimenting in the garden this week, with taking
    pictures of bubbles.

11. Tony Duke says:

So simple yet so effective. Thanks again for sharing.

12. Heidi Anne Morris says:

Well done Mike ๐Ÿ™‚ I really like how your video presentation style is unique to you, it's really developing nicely too! ๐Ÿ™‚ You might like to try some rear curtain synch at night blur too ๐Ÿ™‚ http://www.heidiannemorris.com/Galleries/CreativePhotography/Crazyblur/i-hshhmj9/A great fun and very liberating All the best Heidi

13. JC says:

that will be my project for this weekend. ๐Ÿ–’

14. Call Me Mom says:

I love doing this sort of thing. You can get the most interesting effects when you play with light.

15. Kevin Harris says:

You make photography so easy, interesting and fun.

16. saleh musmari says:

when mike share video, click and learn ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Lau Bjerno says:

Had a pint to many? ๐Ÿ˜€

(Btw. How can you stand that focus beep?)

18. KreygScott says:

Another whopping 5 Star video from Mike Browne. Undoubtably one of, if not the best photographer on YouTube today. I can still remember watching his first video on Camera Controls which I still use a reference for my photography workshops. Mike's revutionary down to earth easy to understand way of teaching has helped me so much in my journey to becoming not just a better photographer but also a better person. Thank you so much for all your time and effort Mike. Regards,Craig

19. Mixie Palms says:

superb mike, well done Becka! I will be trying this!

20. Gerard Kuzawa says:

Image stabilization just might help with some of the shaky-shaky? Indeed it might… lol.

21. Robin Horton says:

Good tips except blowing on the lens to clean it.

22. Wayne Britton says:

Thanks again Mike for another interesting video. I like the way you paused at the start of the exposure to get a clear view of the scene before panning up. It makes the photo so much more artistic. Often in the magazines when they show this technique, all you see is a streaky blur from top to bottom and it just looks like a mistake – and I often think "Why would I want to do that?" But your result looks much better.

23. Bruce Fairman says:

I have been doing this now for about 18 months. Having literally about 1,000 tree blurs on my hard drive. Everyone is a bit different even if you do ten in a row, each one is slightly different. I want to make one comment ( by the way you tell how control composition ) OK By raising F stop to 22 or more, you are bringing in those tiny dust bunnies hiding on your sensor. Far better to use a low stop number ND filter. I stick a 3ND on my "box basic lens" and go for it. The technique also does wonders for architectural shots off tall buildings.

24. Ahmet Elhan says:

Hello Mike, before yur video I have always thought that people were adding motion blur to their images to get that effect. Yesterday I watched your video and today went to the closest spot with trees. I took the image with a very few panning. The effect is very little but I like it a lot I guess; here check it out: https://500px.com/photo/179038009/pan-the-camera-by-ahmet-elhan?from=following&user_id=13239807

25. Gina Heaton says:

It's called Dragging the Shutter. This is one of my favorite techniques to use. And the technique of Speed Blurring.

26. vikvadle23 says:

Thanks so much for this video Mike!! always a treat watching new videos from you. will definitely try this out. On a side note, I was wondering if you could please do a little review on the all new Kodak camera-tastic smartphone? I'm so excited for it and do not want to buy it without your review. So I'm really hoping you will do one if possible. i'm sure a lot of us photographers are excited for this new smart/dslr cellphone!

27. Philip Moses says:

Mike with your inspiration i started a site philipthrikotla.wixsite.com/photography , i even mentioned about your upcoming work shop and your channe on my new site . If you get time please post some suggestions.

28. Philip Moses says:

I regularly follow your channel and im even there on clickasnap . And again you only led me to that site, thankyou so much for all that you teach .

29. profdody says:

I agree. Not a detailed pic but great creativity touch. Thanks Mike.

30. MyHumanWreckage says:

Dianne Ippolito specializes in this type of "blur" photography. Check her out.

31. Bruce Fairman says:

"Composition is by hands and legs and hands and knees. " Love it. I have been putting together a talk about composition for my camera club . I am a HUGE believer in the basic rules of composition to create images pleasing to the human eye., AND BRAIN They have been used in some form by painters for hundreds of years. Thousands of painters and photographers can`t be wrong… Finally came up with a rational explanation about composition by pointing out that to a human, certain sequences of musical notes sound more pleasing to the ear and brain than others. It is the same way with certain sequences of composition; rule of thirds, patterns, broken patterns, leading lines, repetition etc . So it is not so much the rules of composition but the LAW of what our brain likes that is the key to the entire process. Having said all that, I have to say your logical and simple statement about how you control composition is priceless and I shall steal it for my own without shame. Thank you.

32. The Vegan Bstard says:

thanks mike great stuff

33. Garry Pycroft says:

Hi Mike, Love your video's , but the first thing I was thinking was "He hasn;t locked his car ! ", I'm from England so I know there's few places it's safe to do that !!

34. Brad Weeks says:

I wish he would come to the US for a workshop I find his ideas very creative and his presentation very polished and professional. Making me think outside the box.

35. Theytoldmetodoit1 says:

I have used this technique before, I have my photos on click-a-Snap. However I not only moved in a downward movement I also zoomed out and panned across. My latest version is taken on a 1 second exposure and moving the camera in an arc. This is the result:

36. Let's Make A Video says:

A good reminder..I keep forgetting to do arty stuff with my camera

37. Stephen Bray says:

cool idea will have to try it

38. Michaela says:

trepanning. Egyptian head drilling ? lol!! great video mike as always! thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

39. rowdyrodb says:

Awesome……..

40. Martin Benford says:

Awesome! Keep up the good work.

41. Vernon Nash says:

And there I was thinking you were now doing videos on brain surgery…trepanning indeed!

42. phresch says:

such a great personality and inspiration! your passion for photography really shows in all your videos! keep them coming ๐Ÿ™‚

43. UH says:

blowing all the mouth oils to the front lens turned the value of the video upside down…

44. Andy Glavac says:

Another great one from yo Mike I love how you keep things simple

45. Glyn Heskins says:

Hi, are you looking through your glasses into the viewfinder, or peering over the top of them, how have you got your diopter set?

46. peter williamson says:

wheres the frontal labotamy ? soo disappointed lol

47. James Fisher says:

Another great creative photography video Mike.

48. Cemil Erkoc says:

nice, thanks for your Videos

49. Steve C says:

Hi Mike, Steve here. Can I pick your brain. I'm currently building my site and adding my images as my portfolio etc. I was going to reduce the images down by 75% and add a watermark to prevent folks grabbing the image and selling it . But would you say it's worth doing?, I wouldn't want the images to look low res due to that, just incase potential clients would be put off by the quality.
    Cheers in advance
    Steve

50. Vic Stokes Photographer says:

Young people today have a great advantage because of modern technology and digital camera's. You can take unlimited photo shots and still come out smiling because there digital, there is no cost to have them developed not like the old SLRS which take a roll of film.

51. Idris Gameele says:

thanks Mike.. you inspire me sir.

52. evelasq1 says:

You made one mistake with the lens. I learned not to blow my own breath on the lens to clean the lens. I would rather use a lens cleaner, lens cloth, hand blower and Q-Tip. You can introduce bacteria to your lens and the next thing you know a fungus could develop on your lens and acid from your saliva could eat away the anti-reflective coating on your front element. Cheers, Flood!

53. yujin landscape photography. says:

Great tips,๐Ÿ‘ Thank! Mike.

54. Ben Storr says:

Great vid. Given me something else to think about.

55. cat luva says:

I've managed to get some great shots by taking random pictures in a small area. My current favorite example is a picture of a dead flower. The flower was crystal clear and the background was perfectly out of focus.

56. Paul D says:

Nice idea. I'm going to try thistechnique when i shoot aspen in Colorado this year.

57. S.Mendes says:

Excellent tips! Great enthusiasm too! Cheers ๐Ÿ˜

58. Melissa Hall says:

Thank you. Love this idea.

59. Dr.Nimish Lakhani says: