Photography Tips: Composition can be practised anywhere
Photography Tips: Composition can be practised anywhere

you know what the second best thing about being a
photographer is getting to drive the digger now why am I here? why am I sitting in a digger? why am I in this sort of odd environment? well, I wanna talk to about practicing things now I learnt to drive a digger by by doing lots of practice, but you ned to do lots and lots of practice with your photography and you
can do that any way you like and that’s why we’re here, I mean look at this place right, just have a little look around. okay what pictures could you possibly
take here? it is uninspiring it is a mess, we’ve got rubbish, we got wheelbarrows we’ve got all this kinda stuff going on. The thing is you can practice some simple photography techniques
anywhere I said it so many times in your living room in the front room in the
rain any way you like stuff like composition you know creative things you can do
anywhere basic composition things we’re gonna do that in a minute the first
thing you have to get your head around when you’re learning about photography is you’ve got to give up wanting amazing
pictures when you see amazing pictures we’ll go, I’m gonna buy a camera, I’m gonna shoot stuff like that but you’re not seeing the
dedication of work that went into getting them was talking to my friend Bella West, only last week actually about her fellowship, she had fellowship
to the master photographers Association she also got a fellowship to the British Institute of professional photographers that’s a
massive achievement and people look at her panel of pictures and go wow isn’t Bella West great? and she is great but what you don’t see when you look at
the pictures in her panels is that it took her six years to produce what a dozen? a couple dozen pictures for her panels, six years work went into that she failed her fellowships twice she had to change direction and
alter the whole project on many occasions and had many nights staying up staying awake crying tears all that
kinda stuff thinking about giving up that is why now you can’t just go and buy a camera and do that immediately, Now ok that’s an extreme example but I just
wanna show you that by practicing and a bit dedication you can practice
this stuff anyway that’s why we’re here. I’m gonna go and grab a camera, and show you what I’m on about. He’s really lost it this time. Notice I’m using my old D300 and an ordinary lens, ok. This is my little 18 to 70. I’m not going to go into all the techy things, we’re just gonna look at composition, let’s kind of see if we can bring a couple of the
creative and technical things together let’s have a look a you know maybe how we use our zooms, and how we compose things, put those two together. we might have to play with exposure I
don’t know yet but the main thing is composition that’s gonna make the
biggest difference so what can we do you know there’s nothing there’s a load of rubbish, couple of old wheelbarrows ok, if I just sort of stood here and went that’s just ridiculous isn’t it just a
complete load of rubbish so think how can you do this,
compositions all about aligning things and moving things around, so what would the wheelbarrows look like from a different angle? you know. I’m using a wide lens, I got 18
millimeters on this, so let’s maybe get down here and see, okay it looks different is still not very interesting but I’d
say it’s got a little bit more interesting what if we got a bit closer get the
wheelbarrows to fill the frame a bit more, its what I mean about practicing, and if I come in here and take my white card out of the wheelbarrow, which we just used to white balance the video camera Come in here, get a bit lower, get like in here somewhere, we’re getting in close I’m putting this wheelbarrow in the bottom right corner of the frame
and that one over to the left you know we’re starting to move things around and
practice alignment here we go I’m focusing on this
wheelbarrow using autofocus single point. I’m just lining things up and there’s another picture, is starting to get more interesting it’s
not brilliant of course you’re not going to see this picture on the walls in ikea, but you’re practicing something. what would it look like if we made the
lens longer and moved further away? you know this is all experiment, notice you don’t just take the same thing over and over again. what would happen from back here and down low, I’m a bit too close let’s get back a bit further, see if we get the shot past the bucket
of the digger, I do love a digger. Here we go, and I’m putting the wheelbarrows towards the of bottom of the frame there we go Hey look through four very 12 3 4 very different pictures of those
wheelbarrows but I think you’ll agree the last couple three pictures look a considering lot more interesting than the first one you imagine what you can do when you’re somewhere were there is actually something that’s interesting to look at if you know those
techniques because you’ve practice them. Let’s go and find another one. I like these, that’s why Lorna got here first because I pointed at them, I like this shape, I don’t know if there’s a picture here or not but it’s still something you can play with. I kinda like the light, it’s a bit dull and overcast and boring but look I just think that those angular shapes on this fence post and a bit of sawdust maybe there’s a a graphics sort of a shape there, so how would we take a picture of it? if we just standing up like that oh yes that’s very exciting isn’t it, don’t think I can hardly contain myself. Think right, use your, first block of photography. Well if we’re going to have a graphic shot, recompose the picture, how would we do that well by moving and
shifting the camera around, so let’s bend my knees a bit and see if I can get close, put these near the bottom of the composition, and that running up through the middle, let’s see what happens. So let’s just kinda focus on the post it’s almost like a inverted CND symbol really rubbish doesn’t it how can we
change it that bright band of light running through the back is just kind of a mess me learn from your mistakes by
looking at going that doesn’t work that some access distracting from the posts well how could we lose them we could go
somewhere else obviously but how about doing something technical
to assist your creativity let’s make the lens a bit longer you know guys is seeing all this stuff
in my free videos so this might the lens a bit longer and trying to impose the same shot
because with a longer lens what if we go all cum on hands up when
he shouting we go okay so let’s take it from here he say we got much the same picture BCN at
Brighton in the background has disappeared this is all good learning this is
learning how to link your your creative brain with you technical know-how you know this is
learning how to use your brushes wanna be like return the shot the other way everyone seems to want to hold a camera
like this when the beginning and I think about that all like that in my case okay let’s get
a little closer and tried again he is that’s a bit better when you flick between them it seems to
suit the shape better I think minutes you know vertical that way up some great
picture that you just practiced a technique I’m sure there’s more you can do cups going on the lawn exciting on bike too
many understand their anger like that and even have a dog’s poor in there this
is kind of a mess is Nathan I think how could you compose that northerner brushed the dogs gonna stay there far what would happen if we got down low you
know is really tempting to just take a picture of the dog along with the cuts like
blackwell have dolls latte how about now if we got
down the dog level and said hello brush brush
and hope he doesn’t do that stop a I don’t a case you you know all for breath anyway okay let’s see
into that one thought we might get a dog shop we might
still but look at these cops to taking a page
from from above but just doesn’t work there’s a so how
about getting an onto Cup level getting in a bit closer we don’t really
want it from here we don’t really want I don’t think bits
have car and a bit a dog in the background daily
how could we lose that think you know you see creative juices
in link into the technical a little bit well we can make the lens a bit longer
I’ll to the field of view is narrower and we lost the dog leases putting a
place now who can’t help it so we’re gonna guess kinda national network sorry got sidetracked
sorry viewers make the focal length: a bit longer and
focus in on the cups lying on the grass that’s not the nicest exciting picture cuts lying on the lawn when you go back
to the first picture here I would to dog pools 19 both
actually have merits you see what I mean by changing
different things so we don’t want the dog in there at all we wanna kinda look across the
cups maybe well how bout now you may have to move
lorna in on a comment here but change the angle
as for compositions all about this change the background change the
angle let’s stay down low and practice try something differently
I’m gonna keep the lens fairly short what are we on or not 150 this is what I
me also that doesn’t matter what your focal length is mmm one works that makes the picture look
nice so we need so here we go leader he’s got the cups a
little niece not a bad little picture it’s just in a different its its practice that’s the key to all these
things you know you just kinda go like undying that it just doesn’t work does it now I’m banged on about exposure and all
that kind of stuff because I just wanted to show you a way to practice something from
practice everything all at once tantrum bite off more than you can chew
as you become more experience with each of the different disciplines if you like photography like
exposure using chat as a lack kinda stuff I just want to demonstrate there’s
no excuse not being able to practice something
pretty much anywhere thrifted practice in
composition and a composition is a pic struggle for of people I’ve mostly
been talking about the said to have my main building blocks for
photography only going to laugh but you heard me say before guys assembling book
talk you can teach you how to think like a photographer and that is so important that’s what we’ve just been
doing we’ve been thinking we’ve been thinking how do we do this how can we
change that we’ve been doing and the most appalling
environment and what would it be like if you had a reasonable goal
Maddon unite will be nice to be what it be like
a reasonable environment quite a nice car made with the moment lawn maybe he had a couple glasses of wine on
the floor and you practiced with that what would happen if you’re in a nice
living room near a window you put something on the table when you practice
different angles and moving around in the light you start to get these techniques and see what a
difference it makes in the Praxis become second nature and in those amazing pictures you won’t
become byproducts knowing what you’re doing they magically
materialize on their own but you don’t need to necessarily
upgraded camera he possibly need to upgrade your photographer you are speaking environments I suppose
I better leg it before the people I’m that nigga in this has come back say a subscribe to our YouTube channel to be
notified each time we upload one all cool
photography videos well for more great photo tips workshops and training come in CSR website photography courses
da pace

100 thoughts on “Photography Tips: Composition can be practised anywhere”

1. Barbara Ricker says:

Round here we call a digger a backhoe. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Cliff Carlo says:

Well I suppose if you use a Japanese camera, may as well use a Japanese digger lol

3. oasisbeyond says:

Tip… Don't look at the dog's eyes. I think he would have stayed there.

4. David Robertson says:

The dog ย …. the dog, get the dog …. oh crap.

5. Joe says:

Haha I'd love a go on that digger too ..being a truck driver I am away from the beautiful lakes of killarney most times but I take lego men with my camera there great for practice and fun lol

6. Jeff Smith says:

Thank you Mike. Another excellent video.

7. johan bauwens says:

What breed is your lovely dog ? A lurcher ?ย

8. paul casey says:

Thanks Mike – I love your videos and you have got me out and about with the camera again after a 10 year gap. ย Your thoughts about practise really hit home – I've been a programmer since the 70's and still love to program. ย And it always gets me that "the youngsters" think you can read a book and be an expert programmer in 30 days. ย Like the theory in the book The Outliers, practise, practise, practise!!! ย Please keep up the brilliant vids. ย Best wishes from frozen New Hampshire.

9. Troy Howling says:

Cool!! I do this too! Lol… Your videos are brilliant and have been a great help to me.
    Love Lorna's comment at 2:14 "He's really lost it this time".. :o))

10. Ainuddin Burhanuddin says:

Awesome videos like always mike ! I'm new in photography and have the tendancy to buy gears like everbody else. But now i know, 'Dont buy gears,practice and buy books instead'

11. Diane Bohlen says:

Love your videos.

12. Jonathan Vowles says:

Mike, always a treat when a new video is posted! I find the challenge is that's its one thing to admire someone else's perfectly composed pictures and "seeing" the shot oneself. Its a big world out there and sometimes there is just too much subject. Seeing the world through an imaginary lens and making a shot interesting is my goal. Oh and in focus and perfectly exposed and with great light!!

Keep the vids coming, they really give me ideas!

13. Jim Harriss says:

The end of that really made me laugh! Even without a camera I'm thinking like a photographer, how can I frame that in the car window to look more pleasing just by moving my head, it all helps. Another great video, love it!

14. happy hkv says:

another great video, thanks Mike. I am enjoying my photography more then I use to and its mainly due to your you tube videos. I am more relaxed and that give me more time to relax, compose the frame and exposure before I take the photo.

15. Drew Lankford says:

Another great video Mike. Thank you.

16. Aminul Islam Sajib says:

The dog walking into the frame made the already informative video even more entertaining! ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Colin D says:

Another great vid, Mike. I'm really looking forward to learning more about composition, amongst other things, down on the south coast next month.ย

18. Ernie von Bert says:

Straight to the point as always. Thanks Mike

19. Colin -47 says:

A very likeable style of presentation ;-))
    All the best.

20. Email Reply says:

Mike, I really enjoy watching your videos, you're the only guy on YouTube I can learn from. I couldn't find any in your uploads – could you please do a studio tutorial for fashion, catalogue style shooting, full body etc? I would like to see what lighting you would suggest.

21. Vernon Nash says:

Thanks Mike for another entertaining and informative vid

22. glennskitchen says:

Hi Mike, You always make me want to get my camera out and shootย – thanks!

23. dw6600 says:

Hi Mike. The shot at 7:55 with the paws and the cups is actually pretty good. I know you just tried to take a boring shot, but it turned out kind of interesting ๐Ÿ™‚ Just goes to show you how unpredictable photography can be. Love your tutorials. Very down to earth and unpretentious. Keep it up…!

24. Darryl Davey says:

Hi Mike. It would appear that we are reading from the same page.
    I'm one of those photographers who positively turns away from 'people' photographs. I have never liked them; largely because with 'people' photo's, you have your subjects to please! "It's a bit dark/light/near/far". You get the picture?
    I like to photograph everyday objects (like your wheelbarrows) and make them visually powerful.
    Composition is imperative! And using the available light, rides shotgun with composition.
    After seeing your video on 'reverse-mount' macro photography, it caught me; Hook. line and sinker!! I bought some extension tubes. A 10x (screw-on) macro lens. Then in the following weeks, I found myself buying two more sets of extensions tubes! It taught me that shooting in manual was far more useful than leaving it to the camera!
    Bored? Moi? Non, Jamais! I have the entire British Isles at my disposal. (And of course, my home town, London, with its countless parks, museums (and pubs!))
    Thank you, for all your hard work and dedication and your kind, approachable presentation style.
    We'll be watching!
    Ilonka & Daz

25. pei broker says:

great teacher, thank you…

26. FlopsyGuitarBunny says:

Aww the poor dog really wanted his photo taken. What a cutie. Great tutorial, thanks again.

27. bassim alim says:

Did mike go back to Nikon DSLR's ? ย What about his FUJI MIRRORLESS

28. nikchris69 says:

"He's really lost it this time"

hahahhahaha, so funny.

Is that your assistant from the old days? Sally, i think?

29. Sanjay Saxena says:

Very Inspiring yet simple video. Thanks Mike!

30. Mark Gowans says:

"He's really lost it this time" haha I liked that a lot. Made me chuckle ๐Ÿ™‚

31. amsantana86 says:

I just stumbled upon your channel and i got to say i actually learned something. You really get into it and teach. Thank you, you have helped me.

32. Lady Chanel says:

This guy is great. This is the first vid I've seen so far and I'm amazed by his dedication.

33. Victoria Stever says:

Thank you for your videos! It has taught me everything I know about photography even though I am all the way in Texas. Again, thank you!

34. Ajaja Lambo says:

Hey Mike, another great example how to practice anywhere. I tend to do this in my living room around small objects where I like to play around with the depth of field.

35. Alexander Jacob says:

great tutorial. thanks a ton

36. pointer2null says:

Very amusing – and a good photography points too.

Love the ending: "Better leg it before the owenrs come back".

37. Bostjan Belovic says:

hello.cann i do with my nikon p530 so amazing pictures?i love all videos of you.tnx you are awsom..sorry for bad ang.

38. Rick Saint John says:

Thank you for this video, I am now starting to ask questions to myself when I see things, and I have not ever done that before. You have put it into my mind that there are many different ways to shoot something, not wrong or right, it will just be my way, and my achievement if it turns out good. Great stuff here.

39. Rick Saint John says:

Mike, may I suggest that rather than, practice makes perfect, what about practice makes permanent, as in the way that we think around photography. After all we want our thinking to change permanently, don't we.

40. giacomo311209 says:

Thank you a lot for all these amazing videos, I like them a lot! ๐Ÿ™‚

41. MaZaHaKa009 says:

I love you so much Mike. Your videos are amazing.

42. Dustin Cook says:

Thanks Mike! Just picked the hobby up again, and I've really enjoyed your informative and fun videos. I appreciate the time you put in to help us newbies, takes a special kind of person to teach – well!

43. Flag Ranger says:

Always wonderful and rich instruction. Thanks friend.

44. Hasanul Islam says:

Thank you. Photography is always my fantasy and recently bought a mirrorless camera. Your videos are really helping.

45. jordanthecat says:

Thanks for this approach: how to assess wherever you might be in order to create an interesting photo, instead of just showing what makes some photos look interesting after they've already been taken. I'm downloading your "Ultimate Beginner's Course" at this very moment!

46. lucia.marginean says:

I just love how playful and creative you are and how you make it seem so easy!

47. Victor Of Astora says:

Amazing video!

48. Nathan Crabtree says:

Just like my dogs, see a good shot and they move before you have the chance to take it. They give me good practice though.

49. Keegan Hall says:

I love your videos. You make becoming a skilled photog feel achievable.

50. Hyogail says:

This is so useful! Composition has always been a huge weak point for me (which is a bit embarrassing because I'm a fine artist!). I can't wait to practice this! ๐Ÿ™‚

51. danijelbrecelj says:

that twist in the end ๐Ÿ˜€

52. Nonduality says:

My experience is that if you love something enough you'll want to know it in every possible way, and these are good videos in technique. Really, a kind of kama sutra of photographic positions. But the question for the photographer is, Are you "making love" to the scene or just going through the motions?

53. Martin Benford says:

Awesome! Keep up the good work.

54. Teyaotlani Cruz says:

Im actually raise my hand and answer at loud.

55. Ranit Dholey says:

Best photography channel ever. Love your videos Mike ๐Ÿ™‚

56. Stephen Morgan says:

To drive a digger is my wish for this summer lol. Oddly enough some of my favourite images have been ones when I have been just out practising. Same with looking for the perfect partner i guess ๐Ÿ™‚

57. Richard Weathers says:

What an awesome and unconventional way to start a segment on composition! The hand full of sentences below it are spot on, just what I needed to hear after coming up short on 'amazing images' last night, turning in early and missing an opportunity to practice. I'll be leaning hard on your videos over the the next few weeks in preparation for two shoots coming up the end of this month & beginning of next, my first ever. One is a paid job while the other is an exchange of time for portraits. I almost backed out but finally decided to just run with it. My kit is pretty basic but workable, at least for me: Nikon D3300, Nikon AF-S 50mm, Nikon F/1.8G, Nikon 35mm F/1.8G, Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro. I also have one flash, stand, umbrellas and reflectors . Manual is the mode I prefer to shoot in for the time being since it gives me the most control along with using my flash off camera, aperture priority isn't a favorite though other people I know use it.

58. Ganesh Kumar says:

So true. We get carried away with the amazing pictures that we forget the effort behind it. In fact my motivation towards photography were the breathtaking landscapes I see in magazines and net – something which Mike pointed out. I am glad at least it started that way but true photography is a journey treading through all disciplines (as Mike says). Thanks Mike for all the hardwork & sweat you tread through to share your incredible insights!!

59. Saurat says:

"You're not going to see this on the walls of Ikea". lol. My most scathing insult is saying a particular photo would be found in Ikea.

60. Michael Roberts says:

Again love how you walk things through, has helped me recently as I practice

61. John Cramer says:

Fantastic motivational video….where's my camera?!

62. Vic Stokes Photographer says:

Your inspiration and dedication to help people into photography is astonishing Mike. i have watched 100s of photographic videos on youtube over the years not even one would come close to your work and ways of explaining every detail plus you even through in the odd smile.

63. Steve Loudon says:

Your teaching videos are the best. I just bought a "real" camera about a month ago and you have really helped me out. Thanks. Looking forward to more.

64. Iain Geoghan says:

mistakes are the best bit!

65. Steve Mathis says:

Thank you, your videos are always so helpful and informative as well as entertaining.

66. Jon Powell says:

Have a couple of your DVDs which are very informative and enjoyable to watch. Really enjoy your enthusiasm, itโ€™s quite contagious! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

67. Allan Thompson says:

Lots of useful tips and Great Fun. Nice Mix.

68. Iain Geoghan says:

Yep anywhere! I love this photography thing so much I practiced to ease some pain of a bad stomach. Sitting on the toilet in the so that if a bomb were to go off it would do so in the right place. Very dull room, to take my mind off of the pain I pulled my phone out and tried to compose a shot of the tiles somehow until I finally got some relief. Crap shots, butt, this kept the part of my brain used to find pictures flowing and working; flushing away any other thoughts and just being able to focus on the shot. Then once I achieved some relief in that bathroom, I was able to get to work on time feeling ready to run out the last month of wrenching pipes together before flying down to a different continent to enjoy a different piece of this great world…solo, with epilepsy:) Chileans who spoke some english thought I was nuts, but did not mind if my friend Alistair and I bought the first round

69. Allan Cox Australia says:

You never fail to teach simply for us all to learn. Thanks Mike. Watched this one over and over again. Always pick up something else.

70. TimberGeek says:

I can tell you're a pro photographer as your digger is bigger than mine. ;-D

71. Jan Wright says:

You missed the main using the digger bucket arch to frame a shot

72. xiaonee woo says:

Thank you Mike. Watch your video every day and a lot to learn.

73. David Chi says:

This video is so important to watch, no matter how obvious it may sound.

74. Scott Mathieson says:

Im actually surprised you didn't get a cool shot of the digger lol. Your channel is absolutely brilliant for newcomers to this complex game

75. 1unisol1 says:

Basically itโ€™s like drawing. Every artist sketches and doodles all the time, same can be done as a photographer, your smartphone can be your best friend in this ; )

76. Sabri K says:

Awwww look at the cute doggy doing cute doggy things… I love dogs. Oh right.. composition!

77. OneEyedPhotographer says:

That fence post with two struts, did you think of turning it upside down?

78. From A Girl Point Of View says:

Good work.

79. Trishant Das says:

The dog was so gentle and ur lessons too meaningful sir ๐Ÿ˜Š

80. Brent says:

9:48 The dog is splooting!! How am I supposed to pay attention and learn with a splooting dog? Damn near impossible.

81. rob b says:

Actually this is Mikes house.. i know as i often lurk in the shadows of a night and peer at him through his windows.. he once had scaffolding up and i was able to follow him from floor to floor. it is a memory i shall always cherish .

82. Portrait Mood says:

no one can able to teach u [hotography like u

83. Pris Cilla says:

I really love it. you dont go by the conventional ways and try speaking heavy duty english grammars, Just plain and simple. Out of the 100 hours of photography downloads on youtube for months practicing photography,this is my first comment to any of them..Kudos Thanks

84. Jens Graikowski says:

Thank you ever so much for this video! I'm slightly upset right now, because I just bought a camera (I've been taking all my pics with my phone up to now. If you feel like checking them out, here's my Instagram: instagram.com/jensgraikowski ) and I was really excited about heading out and giving my (second hand) Canon 60D a good run. Well, it wasn't meant to be. A couple of days before it arrived I got myself a herniated disk and now I can't leave the house. I've spent the last three days watching YouTube videos and getting to know my camera, but there's only so much you can get out of user manuals. Inspired by this video I'll practice in the house now. They won't be award winning photographs, but I'll learn how the camera works in different circumstances, with different lenses, lighting, composition, etc. Thank you very much for making myself pull my thumbs out of you know where and practice at home. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜‰

85. Johnny says:

I love the dog!

86. John Phillips says:

I find composition to be easier with a mobile phone for some reason?

87. Lord Aizen says:

I really like this guy,, what u need is practice to get better

88. Norius Lephotographe says:

lol you won't see this on the wall at IKEA…such a big dream to have your picture on the wall at IKEA… ๐Ÿ™‚

89. Norius Lephotographe says:

you have a great looking subject in the frame…the DOG , i don't believe that you didn't see that and continue picturing the ugly fence!

90. Roberto Bellezo says:

Thanks a very informative channel.. God bless you in JESUS name!!!

91. Rajeev Kamalasanan says:

Great video and content. You are simply a good teacher!

92. Wouter Turkenburg says:

This is really one of the funniest films. Nice to see how well Mike is performing his old profession. And as always: he is right on the spot.What a great tips!

93. Ed Komasara says:

I hear the Mrs say "How's the yard work coming Mike?"

94. time pass says:

I subscribe you because of this video

95. Jeff Leak says:

Great speaker, great teacher – genius

96. Rasgore4 says:

I really needed this. Thanks a lot!

97. Sarah Mayoral-Osmolski says:

Favourite camera lessons on YouTube. You sir, are a gem.

98. Kathie Smith says:

Love this. As a beginner it gave me ideas about PRACTICE…one discipline at a time. Thanks.

99. Chevy Van Travel says:

not only dedication and effort but also LOCATION if you are in the Hawaii with ocean and waterfalls and colors your pics will look prettier than lets say your backyard. so practice helps you with the amount of knowledge you gain so that when you do go to Hawaii or other beautiful places your pics will look awesome thanks to having practiced before

100. alborada777 says:

Great tutorial with a twist of humour. I really like it. Thanks for the inspiration…